Saturday, June 5, 2010

may small change

i feel this may be my smallest change yet. and i'm still proud of it. it has required me to be more mindful and conscientious. may's small change was disposing of my chewing gum properly (ie not throwing it outside from the car window etc). as good as i've believed myself to be about not littering and such, i never really gave much thought to tossing a piece of gum onto the ground. i figured it was like food and would disintegrate.

well, at some point over the last few months, i came across a blurb about chewed gum being litter - huh? why didn't i ever make that connection? even worse, it's potentially harmful to wildlife. so now whenever i find myself ready to get that flavorless piece of gum out of my mouth, i have been able to find a more appropriate place than the ground. and while it's small, it makes me feel good every time i catch myself.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome change Amanda!! I have noticed a lot more little litter in the last few years, little hands find so much!!! I cringe when the boys go to pick up a cig butt at a park.

    ReplyDelete